Actually, it's quite the opposite. While I should be studying for my neuro quiz coming up, I'd rather tell ya'll about all of the amazing events that took place this weekend. So many exciting things that I have to break it up between a few posts. First thing's first:
Yesterday, I attended the Braves vs. Mets game. Before the game, the National League Player of the Month Awards was presented to Dan Uggla and the Rookie of the Month Award to Craig Kimbrel. Two very deserving recipients, in my opinion. The game was pretty slow, thanks to some lights out pitching by Tim Hudson and the Braves knack for leaving runners on base. Finally, in the eighth the Braves scored and held the Mets in the ninth for the win. Here are some shots from the game:
What's better than a Braves win? A Styx concert after a Braves win! I love watching these guys perform. They really do put on a great show. Lawrence Gowan is by far my favorite. He's the keyboardist, but I estimate he only plays the keyboard 40% of the time. The rest of the time he's running around the stage dancing like a fool. I can't get enough of it!
But wait, there's more! I hope I haven't lost anybody because this truly is the best part of the whole day. After the last concert I went to, I was able to get Troy Gentry of Montgomery Gentry's autograph near the players' lot because they have to walk across the street to their bus. I thought, "Wouldn't it be amazing to at least get Lawrence's autograph?" So I went around back and waited...and waited some more. I almost left because it was getting dark and I didn't know how safe it would be walking back to my car. Then all of the sudden it was Lawrence! He came out of the gate...and then went into the bus. NOOOOO! I was so disappointed. But no one around me seemed disappointed. Apparently, they knew something I didn't. He was coming back out! He stepped out of the bus and generously signed everyone's items and took pictures with whoever wanted one. All I had was my zoom lens so this kind gentleman said he would take my picture and email it to me. And here it is:
He signed my baseball and told me how difficult it was to sign them. I asked if he'd signed them before and he said a few. Then he told me that that ball would be worth a lot of money!
Shortly after, the rest of the band came out. They were all kind enough to sign and take pictures with everyone. Even Ricky, who was on the phone, told whoever he was talking to to wait one moment while he signed. Tommy Shaw was especially friendly, carrying on conversations with many people. After he signed my ball he asked me if I wanted to take a picture without me asking first. I even got Chuck Panozzo, the original bassist who doesn't play with them all the time, to sign my baseball and take a picture with me. I had an amazing night and cannot believe how kind all of these guys were!
Sorry for the picture overload, but I was really excited!








Glad you had a great time, sounds like a whole lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteYou make me want to fire up the old turntable, pull Paradise Theater out of the attic, and crank up the speakers! Awesome.
ReplyDeletelooks awesome! But who is Montgomery Gentry? Sounds like a pitcher for the St Louis Browns or something....
ReplyDeleteGreg: Thanks! Was definitely a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteNight Owl: Do it! You'll be glad you did.
Captain: Nah, ol' Rufe wasn't up there singing. I don't know how popular country music is up there in Canada, but Montgomery Gentry is a duo consisting of Eddie Montgomery (John Michael Montgomery's brother) and Troy Gentry. Original, huh?
I never stayed for any of the post-game concerts. I love concerts though and meeting the band after the show is always a bonus! I have only really been successful with Ben Folds (my favorite!) and Morningwood. Congrats! Ever get down onto the field for a concert?
ReplyDeleteI looked at the game pictures and it appears you caught a broken bat mid-flight in one of them, third one down. Is that really a flying broken bat or is it resting all the way out in the outfield?
Ryan: I just saw Ben Folds tonight on the Sing Off! I haven't listened to his music before, but I should give it a try. I'm always looking for new (new to me) music.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been on the field for a concert yet just because I wanted to hold on to my $20. If it's ever someone way at the top of my favorite bands list, I probably will.
And it really is a flying broken bat!
Morgan: I love Ben Folds. His music almost always tells a story, and I'm a sucker for piano music. He puts on a pretty good show, too.
ReplyDeleteWhile we're talking music, you could try Tegan and Sara, and The Dresden Dolls. But if you're a country girl or classic rock fan you probably wouldn't like any of that stuff. Jet has a classic feel if you go that route.
I am definitely a country girl and classic rock fan. I grew up on a variety of artists from George Strait, Garth Brooks, and Alan Jackson to Def Leppard, Aerosmith, and Bon Jovi. But I do find other bands here and there that I like. I'm a big fan of the Goo Goo Dolls and Kings of Leon. I'm definitely going to look up the artists you mentioned. I've heard of Tegan and Sara before, but can't recall anything specific.
ReplyDeleteWhen you lived in Atlanta, did you ever go to Wax 'n' Facts? It's a record shop in Little Five Points. I always stop there before I head to Charlotte to pick up some used cds. Most of them are only $5. They also have a lot of vinyl. Very cool little place especially if you love the kind of scene that is Little Five Points.
When I was big on vinyl I went to Wax N Facts all the time. There was another location closer to me in Marietta that I visited for a while, and nothing was better than a store here in California that I still frequent. For CDs, I'd just hit that chain of used CD stores (Disc Go Round I think). Little Five Points lost a lot of its edge and thus quality after about 2000. It's kind of like Haight Street out here, which also was a lot better even ten years ago before it became such a big almost-gentrified tourist destination.
ReplyDeleteWord verification: disco.