
Now I focus on three player collections: Javy Lopez, Mike
Hampton, and Dan Uggla. I'll explain. When I became old enough to realize that not all ballplayers are excellent role models (I'm looking at you, David Justice), my favorite player became Javy Lopez. He incorporated the two things I loved most about baseball: catching and hitting. At that age, I just thought catchers were cool. They got to wear all that gear, call pitches, and make awesome plays at the plate. And who doesn't love a good hitter? There is nothing more thrilling to me than cheering on your favorite player when he's up to bat, anxiously awaiting the outcome of the next pitch. Not only was he an outstanding ballplayer, but he seemed also to be a stand-up kind of guy. Okay, so there was that one time he snapped his bat across his knee...irrelevant. I'll speak more about the kind of person he seems to be later when I tell the story of one of the best days of my life.
Mike Hampton, you ask? Isn't he the guy that missed two full seasons and the better part of another four due to injuries? Yes, yes he is. But he's also a pitcher who had a career BA of .246! In the first four months of this season, Dan Uggla, the highest paid second baseman in history, had an average hovering around a mere .175! Many people bring up the amount of money spent on a guy who was not contributing to the team, but shouldn't he get some kind of credit for rehab-ing countless injuries, persevering, and constantly coming back to the game? That takes heart. And that, my friend, is another reason why I admire the guy.
And finally, Dan Uggla. Yes, I did mention the awful start he got off to this season, but I knew he would come around. And I'm not just saying that because he currently has a 29 game hit streak. However,
you don't have to believe me. I did not know much about Uggla before he came to the Braves. I admit that the past few seasons I have not paid as much attention to baseball as I have in the past. Don't you worry, I'm on it this season. When I began watching Uggla play, I immediately loved the way he played the game. I had heard of how poor his defense was, but I haven't seen evidence of that this season. Just take a look at the picture to the right! He spoke about how hard he worked on his defense upon coming to the Braves. That's why I admire him. He plays the game the way it should be played. He runs out EVERY ball (ehmm, Jason Heyward) as evident by how he extended his hit streak last night on a dribbler to shortstop. I wish more players today played the game like he does.So, if you've got any extra cards of these three laying around, I have posted my "have" lists. I also collect Braves cards in general. I don't have a lot for trade right now as I have recently started back up, but take a look around and let me know if there is anything you're interested in. Also, I think by now you've all recognized the trend.
Silver Sluggers:
Javy Lopez - 2003
Mike Hampton - 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
Dan Uggla - 2010
Now following! Where might I find your have lists? I've got a few Uggla doubles laying around...
ReplyDeleteA little slow getting them up there, but they should be ready to go now. Thank you for following! Let me know if you have any suggestions about what I could improve upon. Also, email me a want list and let me see what I can dig up for you!
ReplyDelete