I am so glad I finally moved to the Atlanta area. It's awesome being able to pick up and go to games whenever I feel like it. I had a practical today for class, so I hadn't planned on attending any of the Alumni Weekend events, thinking I would have to study all weekend. At the last minute I changed my mind and bought a ticket for Sunday's game. I got an awesome deal on a seat in the fourth row next to the Braves' dugout. Prior to the game, Braves alumni were signing at different booths throughout the stadium. There was only time for you to pick one table, so I elected to stand inline at the booth with David Justice, Jeff Treadway, Marvin Freeman, Jimy Williams, and Earl Williams.
When I was younger, Justice was my favorite player. Then all the Halle Berry stuff took place. Granted, we will never know the truth about the whole situation, but I'd just rather not look up to someone that gets caught in that kind of drama. However, I still wanted to get this card signed and meet him just to make the seven-year-old me happy. When I reached the table, the lady asked if anyone remembered what number they were. Someone told her "178". Upon hearing this, Justice was visibly annoyed, like he couldn't believe he still had to sign for however many more people. I know it's hot, I know they get tired of hearing "you were my favorite player" and "it's so nice to meet you," but doesn't that come with the territory of being a MLB player? Anyway, I shook his hand and moved on, grateful still for the opportunity.
Unfortunately, Marvin Freeman did not show up at the table. I had a card ready to go for him. I did hear that he was at the game. A family I met actually rode in the elevator with him. Treadway, E. Williams, and J. Williams were all very pleasant. Actually looking up at me when I told them, "Thank you, sir," and smiling as they handed me my item back. Jimy Williams was last and as I told him thank you and walked away, I got a few steps away and heard him say, "Have a good day." I turned back around and said, "You, too," as he gave me a big smile. I just thought that was a kind gesture.
Here are the two cards Justice and Treadway signed. I got J. Williams and E. Williams to sign a ROMLB ball I had with me.

After the game was over, I walked around to the players' lot hoping to get a few autos. I waited and waited wondering why no one had left. Then, someone mentioned the Braves Bash that was taking place after the game. No wonder. They were all staying to do interviews and such that would be shown live on the internet. After an hour and a half or so, some started leaving. The first player to stop was Tommy Hanson. He was the only player I didn't have a card for, so I had him sign a Braves team card. I neither liked nor disliked Hanson. He was just another player on the team that I didn't follow as closely. But that all changed yesterday. A lot of the guys will sign your item, hand it back to you, and take the next item without saying a word or even looking up. When Hanson handed back each item, he looked the person in the eyes, smiled really big, and told them they were welcome. It's small things like this that really make me admire a player. Alex Gonzalez, Jair Jurrjens, and Brandon Beachy also stopped yesterday. Unfortunately, Beachy's signature is really faded. I'm not sure why since the auto the kid got right after me with the same pen turned out fine. It's okay though, I'm still really excited about the day I had.

I can't see your pictures, FYI.
ReplyDeleteI went to a few Sunday alumni autograph sessions a couple years ago. I ended up with Niekro's autograph, and a few more (Marquis Grissom, I believe?). The key was showing up early to get in line. I wish they'd do that here in SF.
I've never done the after-game autograph thing. Maybe I should start, though here in SF it doesn't seem as easy as Turner Field. Glad to see you had some good luck getting autographs! A player's interactions with attendees can make or break a fan.
The Giants are in Atlanta right now! Too bad the Braves just won. (Give up 3 runs in the last inning, that'll do it.) If you go and get some autographs of Giants I may have to work out a trade.
Let me know if you still can't see the pictures.
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool to get Niekro's autograph! He was on the list of alumni participants this weekend, but he wasn't there Sunday. I got there before the gates opened and went straight to Justice's line. They passed out numbers so when they reached a certain one, the line got cut off. By the time I got through the line, all the other lines had been cut off. I was hoping to get to a few more tables, but I am still very happy with the four I got! I've been to one of the regular Sunday alumni signings like you're talking about and was able to get Sid Bream, Johnny Estrada, and Gaylord Perry. Maybe I'll post them one day. I've never gone to the opposing team lot, but if I ever get some Giants autos over there, I'll be sure to let you know!